Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Lot of Pomp Considering the Circumstance

So my little sister, Summer, graduated from high school last week and it was... an adventure. Mike got off work early so we could head to Gilbert and have dinner (yum, yum... Gecko Grill) with the family before Summer had to run off. It poured rain on us the entire time over to Gilbert and since the graduation is typically on the high school football field, the school had announced that if it was going to be raining that the seniors would go into the auditorium and all the family and friends would watch on monitors in the cafeteria area (the auditorium is only big enough for the seniors). After countless angry parents and defiant seniors who swore they would sit on the football field, rain or shine, the school caved in and we went to the football field in the pouring rain. And it rained... and rained... and rained even harder. It wouldn't have been nearly as bad if they would have cut out their speakers... like the 5 saludatorians... or if the valedictorian hadn't used the words "just give me 4 minutes" after we were all soaking and freezing (I've never seen a valedictorian get boo'ed before). But they did the ENTIRE program, despite the chants of "read the names" from the crowd and the senior class throwing around beach balls and releasing live mice, and Summer is now a high school graduate! She's heading off to BYU-Idaho in the fall (if anyone knows of any available jobs up in Idaho, let me know! She's looking for one!). We're so proud of her and all she did this year! Congrats Summer!

Do we look like we're having fun yet? Yes, that is a trash bag on my mom's head. One guy showed up with a whole roll and was passing them out. They actually were quite nice to have!

All the umbrellas! I've never seen parents allowed on the field during graduation before, but it seemed like there was constantly someone walking out to the graduates to give them an umbrella or poncho or something.

The sisters (plus Amy and minus Calli who is in Missouri and was sad she couldn't be here. We missed you Calli!)

3 comments:

:) said...

Dude I totally forgot to ask my Mom about jobs up there. Or at least get some people's names and numbers. I will try and remember to ask her tomorrow. Thanks for the activity day activity!

andreamatrix said...

I was wondering how those graduations really went. What a storm! I just watched it out my bedroom window. The guy with the trash bags was a genius!

Elise and Dan said...

I remember it rained like crazy at my sisters high school graduation! It was fun though! But, I believe they cut the program short!