Thursday, June 4, 2009

5 Years!




I can't believe it's been 5 years tomorrow (Friday)! Mike and I got married on a VERY warm (110 degree) day in the Arizona temple. I am so blessed to have this wonderful man in my life. Here are the top 10 things I have loved about being married to Mike for the past 5 years:

10. I don't have to kill bugs! Mike is my designated bug killer, as well as "what was that sound" checker.

9. He has a slightly unhealthy need for competition and contention. Mike is definitely a cheater when it comes to games, which you would think would be a bad thing, but it makes the game interesting. He's also a bad loser, which makes it really funny to beat him at games. Lindsey O. and Liz B., as well as the rest of my family, can attest to this. Most games become "make Mike lose" games.

8. He's a die-hard BYU sports fan. I have always enjoyed sports, but there's a whole new element when you're OBSESSED with a sport, or in this case a sports team. Our ward here has definitely been split BYU-Utah, which has led to some fun and funny, yet friendly, competitions.

7. Mike is a great cook... when he makes certain dishes. I admit, Mike is an over-seasoner, so if he doesn't have a recipe, he tends to overdo it sometimes, and cookies are just not his forte; but, Mike does make some really good dishes. My favorites are his gung-pow chicken, pepper steak, and his barbeque recipes. Yum!

6. Mike is a bit OCD when it comes to projects. His recents ones include organizing all the music on the computer (correct title, artist, genre, and in the case of his Estonian music, lyrics) and converting his old cassette tapes into mp3s. He also gets obsessive when he starts to clean. Granted, this has not been a constant thing over the past 5 years, but when it happens he can physically not stop until the area he's cleaning is spotless. While this can be annoying when there are other things that need to be done, I have to admit that I love being able to find any picture or piece of music I want at any time.

5. He's always willing to learn a new skill. He's learned to do minor car repairs, build shelves in my closets, and lay sprinklers in our backyard. He works hard at researching what he needs to do and then jumps into it.

4. He's cheap! Mike is really good about eating leftovers, saving everything, and not spending money on unnecessary things. Of course, there are those splurge moments, but in general I don't have to worry about Mike using money we don't have or should not spend.

3. Mike is a hard worker. I am so lucky to have a husband who works hard to support our family so that I can stay at home with my babies. As I've been working a little more over the past couple months, I've realized how much of a blessing that truly is.

2. He makes really cute babies with me! Amy is definitely "mini-Mike" and Matthew has some great features from him too. Let's face it, I think my husband is hot and makes cute clones.

1. I get to spend every day with my best friend! I love you, Mike, and look forward to the rest of eternity with you!

3 comments:

Calli Potter said...

Happy Anniversary!

Liz said...

Happy Anniversary! Wow, 5 years has flown by for us too. I remember that killer hot AZ day... it took all of us Laudies a long time to heal from those sunburns!

Hope you guys have a fun day!

andreamatrix said...

I need new friends who are more "mature". Five years.... I'll be FIFTEEN in 2 weeks!!!