Thursday, August 20, 2009

To Be A Pioneer

Pioneer Day is always a fun holiday at the Laudie home. Mike's family had a lot of fun traditions, including pushing the "handcart" (a wagon) down the hill to the cemetary where they ate cornbread and talked about those who made the trek. While our closest cemetary was too far to make this a tradition here, Mike was definitely excited that our stake celebrated the 24th of July, since our stake in Arizona typically didn't. There was a stake potluck on Friday and a ward breakfast on Saturday. There was going to be a children's parade at both, so I decided Amy needed some pioneer garb. I pulled out the handy sewing machine, found a simple bonnet pattern, and set to work. I just faked the skirt (didn't use a pattern) because it didn't need to be as complicated as the patterns I had made it. But I was super pleased that I was able to figure out the pattern and get the bonnet to turn out so well! Amy was so cute!


We got this cute little red wagon (you'll see why later), so Matthew just lounged at the stake potluck.

Amy appreciated that they had hotdogs. Did the pioneers eat hotdogs?
And this is why we had a great need for a wagon. We'd wanted to get one anyways, and when I found this one on craigslist, Mike fell in love. He wanted to make a covered wagon out of it for the ward breakfast children's parade. So, after the stake potluck and we got the kiddos to bed, Mike set to work converting the wagon to a pioneer covered wagon.

Amy woke up the next morning and you would have sworn it was Christmas. "My Wagon!"
It was a big hit with all the kids at the breakfast the next morning. Who says you can't buy your child friends?
Our happy pioneer family. I don't fit into my old trek dress, and I didn't have time to make myself a new one (kids take priority when it comes to costumes because you can stand back and say "isn't she cute? Yeah, she's mine."), but Mike found the clothes he wore to our stake's trek last year.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love it how fun. I wish i could sew like you. Hey we need an idea for Halloween. Any ideas for the five of us?

bretandjulie said...

Amy looks so cute and I love the covered wagon! We missed you at the stake campout this year! Glad you are surviving in Ohio. Your new ward is so lucky to have your family!