Thursday, August 20, 2009

New Calling!

Things not to do when you move into a new ward:

1. Become friends with members of auxillary presidencies.
2. Tell the bishop you are eager to serve.
3. Go to activities where you are one of a few, and the others all have substantial callings.
4. Show up to the 24th of July celebration with your kids dressed up like pioneers and pulling your husband's covered wagon.

Why should you not do these things? Because the Bishop thinks you are strong, active people who can be put in leadership positions and asked to take on difficult tasks. My new calling?

Ward Activity Chairman (not co-chair... just chairman)

While I have looked on with envy in previous wards at this calling (party planning committee, anyone?), I am very nervous about this calling. Here's why:

1. I don't know the ward at all. I don't know what they like, what they don't like, how many people show up to these activities, what talents people have that I can use, etc.
2. The biggest challenge with this calling is going to be getting people to show up, which is never easy.
3. I always want to "go big or go home." I want to go the whole nine yard. I don't know how not to buy too much food. I don't know how to pick the most elaborate activity.
4. I am a really lousy delegator. I am always so afraid of inconveniencing someone that I just do it myself.

This will be a fun calling, and I will definitely learn some things from it. So here's where I need your help: Tell me about your FAVORITE ward activity of all time (the more details, the better!). Here's hoping I don't blow it!

2 comments:

Brittany @ My Decoupaged Life said...

Just the other week our ward had a pizza bake off. It was fun and everyone got really creative with their pizzas. That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure I'll think of more! Oh! A ward carnival! My ward did one back home! So fun!

shiloh said...

I have two favorites: One was when I was in young women's and it was for Christmas. The gym got turned into Bethlehem and everyone brought a blanket to sit on for dinner, when we ate meat, cheese, pita bread, and fruit. Then there was a simple nativity reading that had the primary kids wearing sheets if they were an angel and a towel on their head if they were a shepherd. The bishopric were the 3 wise men. It was a great activity. The other favorite was this last year Valentine's Day- everyone was asked what their wedding song was and everyones songs were the background music. It was a dessert potluck (which the kids really loved) and there was family feud/the newlywed game combined on the stage and people got called up to play. Then the end they passed out a rose to each lady and love notes that guys had written during priesthood the week before. It ended with a family dance of more wedding songs. Anyway, good luck with planning. you'll be great!