Wednesday, April 29, 2009

You Make My Liver Quiver!

So remember the good old days of high school when school dances required you to come up with some cheesy way to ask or answer your date? My mom always tried to convince us that the best way would be to put a piece of liver on leave a note that said "You make my liver quiver. Will you go to prom with me?" Yeah, needless to say she never was able to talk any of us into doing that one.
Come to find out, the west valley has an LDS prom for the high school kids and they decided to have an adult prom the night before (after seeing all the work they put into decorations, I think that was really a good idea. They put a lot of work into it and it needed to be appreciated by more than just the high school kids). So my husband, knowing how much I loved school dances (yes, I really did. I thought they were a blast!), decided he'd take me to the prom!
I had seen the signs in the church hallway and the announcement in the bulletins, but didn't really bring it up or ask him if he wanted to go. So, imagine my surprise when I wake up to this (those are Hershey's kisses):

Yes, in the spirit of prom, Mike decided to officially "ask me" to the prom. I'm really glad this is one of the mornings Amy decided not to come into our room before I woke up because I can imagine the look on her face if she had found a trail of chocolate and no parents awake to stop her!

Of course I had to then answer in like, so here's what Mike found the night before the prom:
Now, being 6 months pregnant, my mind of course turns to the dress... Where do you find a pregnant prom dress? My mom has closets full of old prom dresses from me and my sisters (with 4 girls graduated, we went through a lot of formals). I had hoped that maybe I could squeeze into an empire-waisted dress because that would be above my belly. But, alas, no such luck. So I ended up finding an old formal skirt I had and a formal shirt from my cousin's wedding and called it good.

First things first, we had to have a day-activity - remember those? Mike had gotten some free spring-training tickets to the Royals game up in Surprise, so Mike, Amy, and I went up and lounged in the grass and enjoyed our sunny afternoon at the ballgame - which was a little warm, hence our lovely hair as Mike decided we needed to have a mini water fight with our waterbottles to cool down. And the Royals won! Mike's from Kansas City, that's why we like the Royals a little bit!

So off we went to prom. We had 5 couples in our group (yes, we had a group!). We started off at P.F. Chang's (mmm... Lettuce Wraps!) and had a really good dinner before we headed over to the prom. Our waiter asked us what the occassion was because the girls at the hostess desk were wondering. We laughed for a minute and then finally owned up to the fact that we were indeed going to Prom.
So after dinner, we headed over to the stake center for the Phantom of the Opera themed prom. Wow! It was fantastically decorated. They had built a gondolla in the hall, made the hallway into a dungeon archway, set the stage to look like the operahouse, and even built balconies and an organ! It was beautiful. So we danced the night away, had a great time with some friends, and all and all just really enjoyed ourselves. I did tell Mike that we have to go again because next year I'm going to fit into one of my old dresses!
Here's our group: Mike and his really pregnant prom date:
Stud Muffin: I had to take a picture of just the top of me so that I didn't look pregnant and fat in every picture!

4 comments:

Allison said...

That is so amazing! It looks and sounds like a lot of fun.

Ron and Paula said...

How fun to try and recapture your youth! (Of course you are still young) Looks like fun and you look beautiful, even pregnant!

Christie Knight said...

Hey!!! Finally you blog woo hoo..: )
Prom looks like so much fun-that would have been awesome to go with Wade too! Hope all is well with your family..keep up the posting!

Anonymous said...

Cute prom pictures haha! Thats sweet that you guys are fun about things like that still. I'm excited to see picturs of the babies room all painted!