Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Birthday Mike!

So I'm a little late in this post, but Mike's birthday was on January 25th. We started to make some fun plans (fun, stay-at-home plans because it was on a Sunday) and Mike realized he had an orchestra concert that night! He's been playing with the Scottsdale Symphony and they have apparently changed their concerts to Sunday/Monday instead of Monday/Tuesday like they used to be. Needless to say, he was a little bummed. Despite that, we had a really nice day. We went out the night before (thanks Kimmi for watching Amy!) to Outback Steakhouse... yum. It was nice to go out with just the two of us! The Owens came over later for cake and ice cream. We had a very relaxing morning. Mike's family has the tradition of doing cake and presents on the night of your birthday, whereas my family is MUCH less patient and we want our presents first thing in the morning! However, because of the concert that night and Amy possibly being asleep when we got home, Mike broke with tradition and opened his presents before church. Amy gave him the classic Ritz and spray cheese (yuck!) that he loves, and his mom sent him a really nice shirt. He also got some nice cards from his Aunt Daveda and my grandma and a gift card from my mom. His big present, however, was the Wii. I splurged. I swear, the month preceding his birthday, 5 different guys asked him what kind of game system he had and, while he denies it, it was a little embarrassing for him to say "Oh, just a Game Cube." When you own a system they are no longer making games for, it's definitely time to upgrade. So, Mike got the Wii. He's been having a lot of fun with it, and even Amy's gotten a strike or two at bowling!
"No Way" is what he's saying here. Mike's a bit of a penny pincher... okay, he's CHEAP, so I knew this would blow him away! I'm a really bad secret-keeper, so everyone in my family and the ward knew what he was getting, but I did somehow keep it from him. Every time he'd say something like "you know what I could really use..." I would just smile and say "but that's not what you got!" It drove him crazy!
After church, we rushed home to get his birthday dinner done before leaving for the concert - Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn. After a quick, and I mean QUICK, dinner, Mike and I rushed off to the concert (thanks Owens for watching Amy!). It was a nice concert. Mike did very well. Sorry for all the fuzzy pictures - the lighting was really bad in there.
Look Mom! Cute vinyl!
Mike is on the far right of the main orchestra section.
Happy birthday to my husband! I love him very much and hope he had a happy day!

1 comments:

Christie Knight said...

Happy Birthday Mike-hope it was a happy one! Way to go Lindsey keeping the secret from him. Wii is way fun!