Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Tribute to the Pioneers

Lindsey does such an incredible job with our blog, making our lives seem so exciting, and making me look so good. But with the spirit of our rich pioneer legacy that I’ve felt the last few days, I just had to share my personal tribute to those faithful saints.

A few weeks ago, we had the incredible opportunity to visit many church history sites, including Nauvoo and Carthage. As I walked where the Prophet Joseph walked, I couldn’t help but envy those who had the privilege to sit at his feet and hear the tidings of angelic visions, pure doctrines of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and personal, direct revelation concerning the building up of the Kingdom of God on Earth. The miracles, the brotherhood of the Saints, the selfless service, Zion in the making… How I wish I could have witnessed or been a part of that glorious cause in that day!

We had the opportunity to walk along Parley Street, heading toward the Mississippi along the same route where the pioneers lined up their wagons to wait their turn to cross the river by ferry and leave forever their beautiful home. We read thoughts and memoirs of many of the pioneers along the way, and I couldn’t help but look behind us at the beautiful temple, envisioning those who had spent countless hours and days in building that house of God and now had to leave it behind. For those of you who know Brian Regan or have ever watched ants at work at an anthill that’s just been knocked down, I can’t help but wonder if I’d be the ant to set down my load, shake my fist in the air, and think “Aw man!... I ain’t doing that again! He’s standing right over there and is just gonna knock it down again!” The Saints of God, more full of the light of Christ than ordinary ants, picked themselves up every time their anthill got knocked down, and they went back to work, building the seemingly impossible kingdom of God. How great it would have been to be among them and to see such faith! I wish I had such faith!

So I take off my hat to those faithful brothers and sisters. They were strong; they were inventive and innovative; they were courageous; they were charitable and full of service. And then I realize there’s no reason I can’t emulate those same qualities and lay for my posterity the same legacy of devotion to our Savior. I hope the journals and histories make me seem half as good a man as Lindsey describes me in this blog. But history books aside, what matters most is how I live my life now, how I choose to show my commitment to my Heavenly Father and His children, how I show my gratitude to my elder brother. So find me a straw hat, round me up some oxen. I’m on my way to Zion… Happy Pioneer Day!

3 comments:

Mark and Karen said...

I love this post. Thanks for sharing!!

The Becker Bunch said...

You guys are great!! What a beautiful post, Mike!! Now, lay the handcart down and come rock out with us!!:)

mph said...

Wow. That was awesome. Thank you for that.